Movement Fix Podcast
Squatting and Lower Body Training
Guest: Mike Boyle
Topics We Discuss:
- How Mike programs lower body training
- Why and how they're incorporating timed sprints
- Why they don't train heavy squats
- Horizontal force production training
In this Episode
It's always a pleasure and learning experience speaking with Mike Boyle.
I've been thinking a lot about squatting as an exercise, especially after my discussions with Dr. Dave Marcu, and how/why to use it and why it may also not be the best exercise selection.
Mike has been open about why they don't squat at his training facility and I reached out to him to see if he would come back on the podcast so we could discuss this in more depth, especially in light of the podcast with Dr. Marcu on hip joint anatomy and squatting.
We have squatting as an exercise and squatting as a movement.
When people squat as a movement, like the typical example of people in Asia relaxing in a squat, they aren't using 'form'. They're just letting the hips, knees, ankles, and spine flex and going down into a relaxed position.
This is completely different from squatting as an exercise where we don't want a lot of spinal motion if we are adding a lot of load.
My ongoing thoughts have been about what consequences may there be to squatting heavy without controlling and preventing the very end range of hip joint flexion. Could that be causing hip joint impingement and bony changes over time? I am not convinced one way or another on this yet, but I am personally (partly because of my hip joint anatomy) squatting heavy in a range where I don't feel like I am getting to the deepest depths of hip joint flexion.
Mike and I discuss this in depth in the podcast as well as his take on squatting as an exercise, lower body training, and how they structure their lower body training sessions.
I hope you guys enjoy this episode!
About Mike Boyle
- Owner of Mike Boyle Strength and Conditioning
- Head of StrengthCoach.com (This is a great place to join and learn from Mike)
- Founder of Certified Functional Strength Coach
- Former Strength & Conditioning Consultant for the World Series Champion Boston Red Sox
- Strength & Conditioning Coach with the US Gold Medal Olympic Teams in Women's Soccer and Women's Hockey
Where to Follow Mike
Previous Episodes of Movement Fix Podcast with Mike:
- Episode 69 - The Backstory of Mike Boyle
- Episode 11 - Split squats vs back squats, hang vs power cleans
Movement Fix Monday Videos with Mike
Other Podcast Episodes
Movement Fix PodcastEpisode#140 The Reason People Argue About Squat Stance Audio only:Other Podcast Episodes
Movement Fix PodcastEpisode#139Water FastingGuest: Sadiq Sheraze, DCAudio only:Other Podcast Episodes
Movement Fix Podcast Episode#138Alpha Hippie: Mind, Body, SpiritGuest: Angelo SiscoAudio only:About Angelo and Alpha Hippie Facebook group for men with weekly podcast: Click here The first group for Alpha Hippie begins july 6. Contact Angelo for...
Movement Fix PodcastEpisode#137 5 Things I Would've Told Myself When I Had Low Back Pain Audio only:Other Podcast Episodes