How to: Single Leg Standing Straddle Stretch
Learn how to perform the single leg straddle stretch
Stretching your adductors is important and under-appreciated.
The adductors are used to create hip extension when your hip is in flexion, meaning they help you come up out of squats, deadlifts, sumo deadlifts, etc.
Sometimes it’s best to work on one leg’s adductors at a time, which is what the single leg standing straddle stretch does.
Need more hip and low back mobility? Start with Day 1 of our Hip/Low Back Mobility Program for free:
How to Perform the Single Leg Standing Straddle Stretch
To begin this stretch, position yourself next to a box or something you can put one leg on. It should be around the height of a bench.
Make sure your stance leg is far enough out to the side. A common issue is not having the leg on the ground far enough out.
From here, you can begin the stretch:
- Push your butt backward and let your chest drop
- Continue going downward as far as you can without letting your back round
- Feel the stretch on the inside of the leg that is up on the bench/box
- Pause for half a second
- Return to the starting position
- Imagine your torso is a cannister. You are not folding forward. The cannister is going down and backward
- You can slightly bend the stance leg
- Feel yourself shift your weight backward as you do the stretch
Reps and sets:
- Start with 2-3 sets of 10 reps per leg
- You should be able to walk normally after performing this stretch
Spinal Positioning: The Most Common Error
In this photo you can see the biggest mistake people make, which is bending the spine.
In order to do this stretch most effectively, you need to keep your back in neutral.
This positions the pelvis in a way to best stretch the adductors.
Video record yourself from the side doing this stretch to form check. Your back should be flat like a deadlift.
What to Read Next
Commonly Misunderstood Words in Movement and Mobility In this post I will be sharing my thoughts on common words used in the movement and fitness world with a focus on how to better define them conceptually, and where applicable, mathematically. Each day...
How to Stretch Shoulder Extension Learn how to stretch your shoulder extension Want better shoulder mobility? Download Day 1 of our Shoulder Mobility Program for free: Option 1 For many people, option 1 will be the best option, especially if...
Get all our latest articles sent directly to your inbox